Before you start work

Bundaberg Fruit and Vegetable Growers is a regional organisation, representing the Horticulture Industry in the Wide Bay Burnett.
We are not a commercial farming operation or contract labour hire agency, for job opportunities please refer to the Harvest Trail website or our ‘where to find work’ page.

In this section we cover the essentials of starting work in Australia.

Visa Information

Work Restrictions
Some visas carry conditions on working such as Student (subclass 500) and Working Holiday Maker (subclass 417) visas. It’s important to know the rules for your visa.
Your visa may limit:

  • the type of work you can do in Australia
  • how many hours you can work
  • what job you can do

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) allows visa holders, employers, education providers and other organisations to check visa details and conditions.

VEVO tells you details relating to your current in-effect visa:

  • which visa
  • the expiry date
  • the must not arrive after date
  • the period of stay (how long you can stay)
  • conditions (what you can and can’t do).

Check your own VISA conditions HERE

[Source: Department of Home Affairs]


, Superannuation (or ‘super’) is a form of saving for retirement in Australia.

Generally, you’re entitled to super guarantee contributions from an employer if you are:

  • 18 years old or over, or 
  • Have worked over 30 hours per week if you are under 18 years old

Most people can choose the super fund they want their employer contributions paid into.

When you visit and work in Australia, your employer may be required to make super contributions to a super fund on your behalf.

If you want to chose your own super fund, you will need to notify your employer by providing a completed Superchoice form.

If you don’t have a preferred Superannuation fund, your employer can open a super account with their default fund on your behalf as soon as you are eligible for Superannuation contributions.

When you leave Australia, you may be eligible to claim that super back as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP). There are requirements you will need to meet to claim your DASP.

Your DASP is taxed before you receive it. The DASP tax rate is different for working holiday makers (WHM). If you hold (or held) a 417 (Working Holiday) or 462 (Work and Holiday) visa you are classified as a WHM.

Find out more about the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment HERE

[Source: Australian Taxation Office]


12f you work in Australia, tax will be withheld from your pay and you may need to lodge a tax return each year. The requirement to lodge a tax return will depend on how much income you have earned during the year.

The Australian income year starts on 1 July and ends on 30 June the following year.

As a worker in Australia, you will be subject to tax on all income earned.
There are 2 main tax rates that may be charged depending on the employers registration with the Australian Tax Office.

These are detailed as follows;

  • Registered as a working holiday maker employer = 15% tax from the 1st dollar earned to $45,000, additional tax rates apply above this amount.
  • A non registered employer of working holiday makers = 32.5% tax from the 1st dollar earned to $120,000. Foreign resident tax rates apply if you earn above $120,000.
  • If you fail to provide a valid Tax File Number, the employer is required to withhold 45% tax from your wages.

If you plan to work in Australia you need a tax file number (TFN). Your TFN is your personal reference number in our tax system. You can apply for a TFN online once you have your work visa.

Apply for a Tax File Number online
More information available about TFN applications can be found HERE

When you start work, you should give your employer your TFN. This is declared on a Tax file number declaration form

[Source: Australian Taxation Office]

Disclaimer: Bundaberg Fruit & Vegetable Growers (BFVG) is not affiliated with the above Government Departments and opinions expressed by the above are their own and not necessarily the views of BFVG. BFVG accepts no responsibility for individual interpretation of information provided. BFVG accepts no responsibility for omissions, typographical or printing errors, inaccuracies or changes that may take place after distribution.  BFVG encourages employers, contractors and employees to comply with Australian laws relating to industrial relations, misleading or deceptive conduct and other unfair practices, discrimination, defamation, human rights and any other laws under which liability may be incurred. BFVG accepts no responsibility for any breaches of these laws by any other persons or businesses.

Become a member and enjoy the benefit of our services and programs

Thank you for taking the time to contact our office.

Our office hours are Monday through Friday 9am til 4pm.

  • 23 Enterprise Street, Bundaberg QLD 4670
  • Phone: +61 (7) 4153 3007
  • Email: or use the form on this page.

Get in touch