About the Business:
Eden Farms is a family-owned pioneering hydroponic operation, growing a considerable proportion of Australia’s Continental Cucumber and Baby Cucumber supply. Located in the Wide Bay-Burnett region of Queensland, the town of Bundaberg is home to the two farms that collectively make up Eden Farms.
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic Head Grower to join our farm leadership team and be responsible for over 8 hectares of Hydroponic Greenhouse growing cucumbers. This position will manage all aspects of the crop production with the goal of maximizing yields and building a collaborative relationship with our crop care staff and external service providers. The Head Grower manages and leads a staff of crop supervisors, picking teams and crop workers engaged in the growing, care and maintenance of the Company’s Baby and Continental Cucumbers that are produced for Supermarket and wholesale buyers throughout Australia.
- Enjoys the challenges in growing
- Self-motivated to continually improve and add value
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide solutions
- Ability to plan ahead and predict problems by being observant to the little things that make a big difference
- Desire to be on their feet, making an impact to the healthy plant growth
- Enjoys working with people and being part of a long-term healthy culture
Key Selection Criteria for this position;
- Minimum 3-year degree in a related field to agriculture (crop science etc.) or 3 plus years of experience in a similar field.
- Direct experience in Horticulture, commercial greenhouse experience preferred, but not necessary.
- Experience managing plant fertility, pest and disease.
- Computer literate and experience in greenhouse control systems
- Experience managing people and well organized
- Strong verbal, written and communication skills
- Ability to manage a variable work schedule around the crop needs
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Areas of responsibility
- Develop crop plans including seedling and transplanting schedules
- Monitor growing conditions and oversee changes in humidity, moisture and temperature and cultivation procedures to ensure conformance with quality control standards.
- Take ownership of greenhouse control systems and provide oversight (PRIVA)
- Monitor plant and fruit development to ascertain conditions such as leaf texture, size and the existence of pests or disease; removing substandard or diseased plants to maintain quality standards.
- Determine rates of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as required by the crops and apply and/or direct the application of them.
- Maintain inventory of growing supplies such as fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
- Schedule staff and assigns work; maintains personnel records and provides input into performance evaluations.
- Train employees in growing techniques and activities.
- Maintain a clean and healthy work environment for the crop and employees
- Insure timely sanitation & maintenance of greenhouse facilities
- Engagement within our food safety program
- Evaluation of research and capital projects
- Predict and manage the unexpected
- Assist the General Manager with other duties as assigned
Please note: Applications that do not meet the above requirements will not be shortlisted.
To apply for this position, please supply to Jeremy Browne, General Manager a current resume with contactable references and a cover letter responding to the key selection criteria.